Thursday, January 27, 2011

1Password was second to be installed on my Mac, followed quickly by Dropbox

I needed to install 1Password in order to write the previous post. (I wanted to log into LinkedIn to remind myself the dates when I started at VMware and Netflix.) 1Password, or something like it is almost required for security nowadays, so one can use a different (very secure) password for all the different web sites, but only have to remember a single master password.

I also use 1Password on my iPhone and my wife's iPad. All versions support keeping its "agile keychain" (the encrypted file that includes all the passwords, login IDs, URLs, etc.) in a Dropbox volume, which makes keeping the keychain synchronized between these devices effortless. And it made installing the keychain on my new Mac very easy. I installed Dropbox, waited for the keychain to sync, and then told 1Password where it is.

I think I'm probably only just skimming the surface of what Dropbox can do for me, but I keep all my ebooks (PDFs that I've bought mainly through O'Reilly Media's deal of the day) in a Dropbox folder and mainly read them in Goodreader on the iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment